Latest news from the Bedford Borough Conservatives...

Saturday, 30 August 2008

Conservatives Slam - Great Drain Robbery


Borough Conservatives are urging people to help stop a series of thefts of drain covers across the Borough.

According to new research published today by Borough Conservatives, as many as 40 manhole and drain covers have been stolen across the Borough in the last year, costing taxpayers an estimated £6,000.
It is thought gangs are stealing the drain covers, which cost around £150 each to replace, to take advantage of record commodity prices, fuelled by rocketing demand from China and India. According to Conservatives, the missing covers are becoming a threat to public safety, with drivers being warned to take extra care and pedestrians, too, being told to watch out for holes left in pavements and streets.

Councillor Robert Rigby, Conservative Councillor for Bromham Ward, today said,

“There has been a surge of drain cover thefts over the last year on our Borough streets, as the price of metal continues to soar.”

“This has already cost the taxpayer around £6,000, and it’s despicable that gangs of thieves are ripping taxpayers off for thousands of pounds whilst putting the lives of pedestrians and road-users at serious risk of injury or death.”

“Only a few weeks ago, residents In Great Denham were left without a telephone connection for nearly a fortnight when thieves stole the copper cables.”

“They often operate under the cover of night and I would urge residents to report any suspicious activity to the Police and Council and make a note of vehicle registration plates so we can put these criminals where they belong – behind bars.”